Negative space nails are a hot new up and coming trend in nail art. It’s been spotted on the runways and is quickly becoming a favorite of nail artists and enthusiasts around the world.Â Unlike full on nail art designs, which typically cover the entire nail, negative space nail design ideas rely on the natural nail peeking through. This negative space helps give the nail art shape and gives the illusion of the nail polish floating on the nail.
Whether you’re a seasoned nail artist or a novice nail painter, negative nail art design ideas should be on your radar this season. They’re easy to pull off, trendy, modern, and simply to create. Most negative nail design ideas require part of the nail to be covered with tape; the nail is then painted over with polish, and the tape is removed, revealing the natural nail beneath. If you have steady enough hands, you can also try negative space nail design ideas with a small nail brush.
If you need a little inspiration for this hot new nail trend, here are 14 negative space nail art design ideas to try this season!
1. Simple Horizontal Stripe Negative Space Nail Design
Simple negative space nail design ideas are great to start with simple negative space nail design ideas, like these horizontal stripes. To recreate this design, narrow strips of tape are placed across the width of the nail.
2. Simple Vertical Stripe Negative Space Nail DesignÂ
Here’s another super simple negative space nail design, this time with vertical stripes running up and down the nail. Super thin striping tape is used to create this simple mani.
3. Half Moon Negative Space Manicure
A half moon negative space manicure can be a stunning look with the right polish! Just cover the cuticle edge of the nail with a round sticker and paint the nail. It’s best to have soft and healthy looking cuticles if you want to ull this look off successfully.
Moxy and Main
4. Black and Pink Diagonal Negative Space Nail Design
Two or more different colors can also be used in negative space nail design ideas. In this example, black and light pink was used to create several different diagonal designs on the nails for an eye catching look.
The Painted Panda
5. Black Triangle Negative Space Nail Art
These black triangles and chevron symbols look stunning against natural nails! They can easily be created with tape.
6. Blue Chevron Negative Space Nail Design
Different shades of blue nail polish are used in this chevron inspired negative space nail design.
7. Pastel Rectangle Negative Space Nail Design
This pretty pastel negative space nail art design would be perfect for summer! It’s also other design that can easily be created with tape.
8. Outlined Pastel Negative Space Nail Art
Here’s another pastel negative space nail design. This tie, the negative space of the natural nail is outlined with thin lines of black polish.
9. Negative Space Nail Design With Shapes
Various shapes can also look amazing in negative space nail design ideas. Just place a shaped sticker on the nail and paint over it. Remove the sticker carefully with a pair of tweezers. If you don’t have stickers in different shapes, you can create your own with tape.
10. Shapes Surrounded by Negative Space Nail Design
Instead of creating the shapes out of the negative shape, you can also surround them with negative space. In this example, pink stars are surrounded by the natural nail. The glitter is completely optional.
11. Wavy Negative Space Nail DesignÂ
Wavy sticker are used to create this unique negative space nail design, and it looks stunning!
12. Fishnet Negative Space Nail Design
If you have a little extra time to spare, you can try this fishnet negative space nail design idea. Start by painting a fishnet pattern on your nails with black polish, then outline your nails with a nail striper.
13. Patchwork Negative Space Nail Design
This is a Halloween inspired patchwork negative space nail design, and it’s super cute! You can use any colors to recreate this idea, though, depending on the season.
Polish Me Snazzy
14. Leopard Negative Space Nail Art
A leopard nail art design is definitely adorable in this negative space mani! It’s a little more complicated than some of the other designs, but the end results are totally worth it!
If you’re ready to take your nail art to the next level, I highly recommend trying some of these awesome negative space nail design ideas this season! A few negative space nail art tips, though…
- Make sure your natural nails are neat and clean before attempting a negative space manicure. Nothing can ruin the look like stained or disheveled nails. Use whitening toothpaste or baking soda and peroxide to scrub away stains.
- Take good care of your cuticles! Massage them with cuticle oil or hand cream and push them back before your negative space manicure. Having ragged cuticles when trying negative space nail design ideas can make your nails look more unkempt than chic.
- Use tape to create clean lines on your negative space nail art designs.
- A small flat makeup brush dipped in acetone can be used to clean up a messy negative space nail design. This could come in particularly helpful if a bit of polish leaks under the tape.